Eastbourne and Beachy Head

5:15 PM

I had a goal to go and see the sea cliffs called Beachy Head since Taylor was offered a job in London. So nearly every time we would discuss what we would like to do on the weekend, I would bring up Beachy Head. It would be a quick day trip as it is just over an hour by train from London Victoria.
But it just didn't happen. 
Until it did! Taylor bought us return tickets and off we went!


Eastbourne Pier
This is one of only 50 seaside piers left. Last year a fire burned down the main pavilion so we didn't get to see the full blown pier as it was before. 

The shoreline is lined with hotels and shops. There was even a small pop-up market on. 





I loved the red of these town houses. 

There is a monument to a brave musician from Eastbourne who once played in the Duke of Devonshire's orchestra, Mr John Wesley Woodward. He was one of the musicians who played on the deck of the Titanic as it was sinking and people were panicking. Click/tap here to see the article written about him in the Eastbourne Gazette in 1912. 



Oh, my heart!
These cliffs are very similar to the white cliffs of Dover. However, these cliffs are allowed to erode naturally. Dover is a large hub for ferry transport of people and goods whose dock has been preserved by vegetation and other engineering so it does not look as clean as these cliffs. 

Taylor's knees got wobbly standing there. If you look out to the horizon, you lose sight of any solid ground in your peripheral. There's only deep, green sea and it will make you feel like you will lose your balance. 531 ft above sea level!



This chunk of cliff looks like it's the next to go... Pieces break off every day from the force of the wind and the little bits of coral that spray into the crevices of the white rock and weaken the stone there. The coral turns black and makes interesting lines the way it gets caught in the white stone face.

This was a dream come true. An item on my bucket list that I am ecstatic to have checked off! 
Taylor humoured me again and went out to the edge there so that there's a size reference. Can you see him?

Not freaky at all.

There were critter holes all over the place. My foot slipped into one (not one of these close to the edge) that made my whole body freeze in fear. I can't tell if I was more afraid of falling or of a critter coming out to bite me.



Belle Tout (above and below). The predecessor lighthouse to the well recognised red- and white-striped lighthouse.



The Birling Gap beach. We stopped here just for a minute. There were loads of people with blankets and towels spread out but not a lot of swimming. There were signs that warned visitors of a fish with poisonous spikes! If you step on it, you could die....so....that takes the fun out of dipping your feet in the water!

Heading back down to Eastbourne.

Eastbourne from atop the hill in the National Park. This near a 100 mile National trail called the South Downs Way. A big destination for bikers, walkers and horseback riders alike.
During the Tudor era, the undulating hills were helpful as the highest points would have beacons built on them to aid in warning Queen Elizabeth I of the invading Spanish Armada along the English Channel.
In World War II, the coastline was fortified against German invasion.
There is much history in these chalk hills!


The beautiful Eastbourne Town Hall.
This is a just a few minutes walk from the train station.
I love that our new habit of walks on Saturdays causes us to stumble across several weddings! The next one I see, I will be brave and speak to the wedding party about letting me take close up photos of their wedding fascinators! Some of them have been top notch so I can't wait to be able to share them. It's a beautiful British tradition that I can't wait to take part in. Someone invite me as a guest! haha

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images