Why they can't tell time in Bermondsey*

12:47 PM

St George the Martyr Church in Bermondsey. Just a few minutes walk from Borough Market on Borough High Street (London Bridge or Borough tube stop).

I saw the clock tower from a distance and walked over to see if it was the church I had just recently read about in *Simon Leyland's 'A Curious Guide to London'. (I picked the book up for £4 at a Book People pop up, which happen EVERYWHERE and everyone should know about it but that is for another post!)

This fantastic book is full of 'unashamedly light-hearted' tales that Mr Leyland put together for the entertainment of people like himself who 'take delight in the strange and absurd'. I am one of those people so I am loving every story. It is a blossoming series on my Instagram :)

The clock tower was made in 1783 by George Clarke for £90. Three of the faces are painted white and illuminated at night. One is black and remains unlit. The black one looks towards Bermondsey, whose parishioners refused to give any money to the church when it was built.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images