Let's talk about the food--20 May 2015

8:01 PM

I will stop apologising for the insane lack of consistency in blogging eventually. I will get all caught up and then go back and edit out all the explaining about why my pictures (and some info) are so old! haha 
But thanks for caring and reading. :)

I wouldn't say that we eat out a lot. We eat out often but not crazy. However, when you live in a big city, there is just sooooo much to try that eating out is like experiencing the culture of the city. So I don't feel awful about it. 
Because there are so many places to try, I thought I would review the places we've been and maybe someone will be interested some day!

Caramel waffles with cinnamon banana and ice cream on the side? A magical brunch at 34 in Mayfair when Taylor's uncle was in town. I didn't even get a chance to take a picture of my eggs benedict (I Loooove eggs benedict and try them nearly everywhere I go). I didn't get a chance to photograph because once I took a bite, it didn't last long! BEST. EGGS. BENEDICT. OF. MY. LIFE!
The egg was amazingly good, hollandaise sauce not too tangy and perfectly creamy. The yolk was pretty runny, which I usually hate, but I did not complain about this one. I mopped up the deep orange stuff (not yellow) with the muffin and loved every speck. 


Jamie Oliver's in Covent Garden. When Taylor gets off work 'early' and we get to grab dinner together, we try to make it interesting! We don't eat fish and chips as often as I thought we would but Jamie Oliver's seemed like a decent enough place to get our English cuisine. Fish, chips, gherkin and tartare sauce. Oh what? You don't know know what a gherkin is? Yeah....it's a pickle. The Brits have the randomest stuff sometimes. (Quick Tips on how to read a British menu: aubergine=eggplant, courgette=zucchini, and gherkin=pickle)

I had to include this picture because this is how far away the mushy peas stay from my plate. (That sweet-looking silver dish) I hate peas and mushy peas are not my thing. I was shocked when every sign we saw for fish and chips places included mushy peas with the dish. Blech. No, thank you. 

I took this picture at Franco's Ristorante Pizzeria in soho just a couple weeks after we moved here. We ate there randomly and I couldn't find it again because the city had been so foreign at the time that it could have been on any street. For months I have touted it as the best plate of spaghetti and meatballs that I have ever had....

Then we went back a couple weeks ago. They must have changed chefs in the last 7 months. Or tweaked the recipe that night. Or undercooked the noodles.... It wasn't the spaghetti I remembered and it made me so sad :( 

Wagamama is a big chain. We have eaten there a couple of times. This is a bowl of ramen. Pretty good but nothing amazing. It tastes clean and healthy so I have never left feeling uncomfortable but it's not the top of my list. There is a new curry dish on the menu that we tried recently that is really very good! Taylor and I can definitely appreciate a good curry! 

Empanadas. I could live off argentine empanadas for the rest of my life. This particular beauty we tried at Porteña in the Borough Market. Delish and not too crazy of a price. I have a hard time paying for one empanada the same price for which I could get a dozen in Argentina. :)

The duffin! Stax Diner (all completely Halal) makes this cross between a donut and a muffin, covered in cinnamon sugar, served with ice cream, and whipped cream. I think it was really good but not something I would get often. Once was good.

Meat Market/Meatliquor. Meat Market is the family friendly version of this burger joint. They have fun, quirky names on the menu. I got their signature Dead Hippie Burger 2xFrench's mustard-fried beef patties, Dead Hippie sauce with all the toppings. It was good but not THE most amazing I've ever had. One thing I have learned: overhype can kill. It's no one's fault. My burger expectations are high :)

While these are specialty items, grocery stores aren't the cheapest place to get produce. Online or in a street market is usually better (USD$2.30, depending on the day and exchange rate)

Compared to my usual, on the small side, juicy, crisp apples. 

More Argentine food! A chicken milanesa napolitana. I had gotten so sick of these on the mission but eating this giant piece of breaded chicken reminded me of so many great days as a missionary. Companions who couldn't eat the mounds on their plate yet (you get used to it) and throwing their food onto my plate when no one was looking...putting food into plastic bags on our laps...saving each other from seeing terrible things in our food by making each other look away while we picked the hairs out...good times. 

Our favourite spot for a hot chocolate is a chain called Cafe Nero. Such good chocolate! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images