Catching up in the new year...now that it's February...

2:32 AM

I am really behind on the blog updates of our lives here. One of my goals when we moved here was to NOT let 'normal' life dissolve into a 'no big deal, we live in London' attitude. I'm getting lazy about sharing stuff that is starting to be normal for me. 


It's a big deal to say that I now look to the right FIRST when crossing the road. I'm actually nervous about an upcoming visit to America (that's how the Brits/Europeans say it, I'm from America. Not 'The States' or 'the U.S.') where I may not automatically revert to the roads. It's probably fine but I am overly worried about it. 

Red letter day: 26 January 2015 I used 'cheers' as a true reaction to the man who came to read our meter. I was giddy that it came out of my mouth naturally and not ironically at all. Cheers usually means thank you but with a sort of soft, informal tone. Almost a parting 'ok, bye, thanks' but sounds so much better. I love this word. It can also be used with insane amounts of sarcasm but I'm nowhere near that yet. It is fascinating that Brits can insult/judge and it can take hours to realise it. Yowza. 

Anyway, here's what we've been up to. These pictures are from back when Taylor could hang out with me. Mid-December meant his office basically cleared out. A lull in the regular, crazy hours he usually works meant I could drag him all around town to the many Christmas activities. 

St Paul's cathedral 

I really like Portobello Road/market for random finds. Here's a Harry Potter nerd moment among the 'antique' jewelry section of the market. It's a little dark but you fellow nerds will get me. 

Sunset view from Blackfriars pier. The river Thames has a national foot path 180 miles long... This iconic section I'm most familiar with is about 4 miles. I have loads more exploring to do!

We enjoyed the lights at Covent Garden, which was once a real fruit and vegetable garden that monks kept but now is a big shopping hub where you can find everything from handmade, UK goods to the good old touristy Big Ben's. Also a good spot to find discount theatre tickets. A big Apple Store and the only Shake Shake first brought us here. 

All of Santa's reindeer, the sleight and Santa made of Legos hung out at Covent Garden. 

Giant decor, a Covent Garden signature. 

We walked across the Waterloo bridge to the south bank just to check it out. This is from the middle of bridge. 

It was our first time on the south bank so we took our time to check out the bookstores and make notes of any restaurants we might want to come back and try someday.

Ran into the Southbank Winter Festival. The smells were amazing. German markets are my new favourite thing about Christmas. 

The trees separated the festival from the walkway along the river. 


Second carousel ride of my life. First was in Disneyland years ago. We had to do it! 

The tokens to get on. We had zero line. 
I can't even apologise anymore for lack of updates. I will get caught up and stay there. 




You Might Also Like

1 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images