Week 3 in NYC

9:52 PM

This week was unlike any other. I was soooooo excited for the weekend that I couldn't think about anything else. 


This is what I do. I study maps of London. We have been working with 4 Corners relocation and searching the listing site Righttomove.co.uk hoping we can get a flat in as little time as possible once we get our feet on the ground over there. 
Taylor will have two weeks before he officially starts at the desk in London but during that time he will have to take some tests. So we would like to get into a flat before greater time commitments start. 
I will also be looking for a job. We need a hearth. It'll help give us a feeling of stability :)

Taylor needed to clean up before the wedding so we found a legit barbershop nearby. So great! 

These two... Faves. 

We went to an English dinner at Jones Foundry Grill. A genuine British menu except the day's shipment of cod was underpar so no fish and chips. I had the steak and kidney pie which was AMAZING. Everyone approved of their meal so I would definitely recommend it if you would like a taste of England. They even have chicken tikka masala on the menu! It was crowded and loud and terrible lighting (couldn't tell if I was eating a piece steak or kidney until it reached my mouth) but seemed authentic enough. 

I still haven't met a pizza I don't like in NYC. This place is just downstairs from our apartment and legit Italian men speaking loud in Italian and very in little English served this to me. 
I thought I liked pizza before. Utah pizza is nothing in comparison. This city is pizza heaven. 

Friday afternoon, Taylor left training just a couple hours early so we could make it to the airport in good time. We took the subway all the way here which was crowded but fine. It took over an hour but not bad for $5 transportation. 
This Shake Shack is ONE of TWO locations in the brand new terminal 4 of JFK. They are located with 15 gates of each other. This is the B37 location ;)
If I haven't posted enough about Shake Shack, it's because I have been understating it. I. LOVE. SHAKE. SHACK.  I would eat it for every meal if it wouldn't lead to me becoming as wide as I am tall. 
FYI: the airport Shake Shacks are the only locations to offer a breakfast menu! 

This is a little more random but good to know in big cities like New York, San Francisco and London. Über cab is a great alternative to yellow cabs. Comparable in price (as you can see from the ad) but it has a rating system. Similar to Yelp, you can rate your experience with your driver. However, the driver can rate you back. So be nice or they can refuse to take you. 
Rundown on how it works:
-you set up an account with a profile and your credit card
-you search for über cabs in the area (black car or regular)
-select a car/driver
-you can immediately see the driver's picture and make and model of the car they drive (all personal cars) and see how long it would take them to get to you (anywhere from 2 minutes and up depending on the city. Never had to wait more than 8 minutes--usually less than 5--here in NYC)
-request that they pick you up
-driver has 15 seconds to accept you or not. Driver can pass based on your rating ;)
-once the car is coming to you, you look out for the make and model. Jump in when you see it 
-tell the driver your destination. Duh
-once you arrive, you just hop out
Because your profile has a credit card on file, that card will be charged as soon as you get out and the driver hits the 'end trip' button on his über app. (There is a dispute button on your end if you think he drove off and kept charging you)
No exchange of cash or card to hold you up inside the car once you've gotten where you're going! Pretty nifty!

A bad photo of the city at night from the sky. On our way to Utah! Family filled weekend to be had. Last trip west before we land in London. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images