144th British Open - St Andrews, Fife, Scotland

5:31 PM


Once upon a time, I married a man who loves golf. I cared very little for it before I met him and have slowly acquired minimal knowledge (still close to none really) about the sport. But I love this man so much that I would try my best to make his dreams come true if I can.
He wanted to see the 144th British Open.
SOOooo we rented a car and drove across the country (8 hours) to get to St Andrews, Fife, Scotland.


I told Taylor that sheer love and devotion motivated me to drive all night so that we could watch the British Open on Saturday. I know that we were blessed because we didn't die.

Heavy rain had delayed play on Friday during the Second Round. 3 inches in 48 hours made little lakes on the fairways so we were just praying the weather cleared so that our day at the Open wouldn't be affected.

We made it!

A beautiful and historic course. This course is nearly 600 years old. St Andrews is the Home of Golf. Amazing to be here.

Unfortunately, the high winds caused a delay in game. Not a single professional golfer on the course. Some were walking around here and there but I didn't see any.

Hazards!

HOME OF GOLF
We took to exploring the town while there was nothing to watch at the Old Course.

I did as much research as I could for the short time we had to prepare and I found this bakery on Trip Adviser. The most recommended thing was gone by the time we wandered over there, of course. So no fudge doughnuts for us and it makes me sad :(

We did get a couple of treats in lieu of the fudge doughnut and if this shortbread and jam Open biscuit is any indication of the overall product, I'm sure it was INCREDIBLE! Worth a trip back for the doughnut... ;) We got this and a chocolate caramel shortbread bar. Those bars are very common sweets so they are usually just OK but the one from here was outstanding! Caramel was perfectly salty to offset the chocolate.

Market Street and the fountain



Wandering at the right place at the right time caused us to cross paths with John Anderson! He was in town on the job and if anyone would recognise a Sports Center celeb, it would be Taylor. I was bold enough to stop him for a picture and everyone was pretty excited about it.

I don't even know but it's so pretty!


St Andrews Cathedral (allllll the heart eyes)
Right by the water on a perfect day. (minus the wind)


St Andrews Castle

Opposite the Castle. I want to live here.

St Andrews University
I would not even be mad if our children want to study here. I'll go with them!

The department of Logic and Metaphysics building
Couldn't be more beautiful.

The University Cathedral and Square.
Taylor is in there for some perspective :)



Back at the course at 5:30pm at the winds have finally calmed down and the players are ready to finish Round 2 from the day before!

Because of the delay and the fact that very few groups were actually playing, the crowds were massive in very concentrated areas. This is 17th hole where very kind people let the short girl up to the front :) Dustin Johnson can drive the ball a mile. This twist makes me believe it!

Tiger Woods crossing the famous Swilken Bridge. Tiger in real life.
Too bad he was the 8th from the bottom out of 150 players...including amateurs...

We took a nice long drive along the coast on the way to our airbnb in Edinburgh. Favourite spot was this little harbour. The tide was so low that these boats were tipped on their side in the sand. Gorgeous sunset. Well done, Scotland.





You Might Also Like

1 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images