Let's talk about the food--7 September 2014

9:54 PM

A quick (or not so quick) post about the food. 


Pret-A-Manger. They are everywhere. Turn around any corner and you're likely to walk right into another one. The sandwiches are great! The British bacon is tasty! The chicken cesear sandwich on a baguette is pretty great, too!

Repeat pic but still my favourite sandwich EVER. It has a name that escapes me now. Trio something. But it's the Edam cheese that I love, tomato (remember to say tom-ah-toe), and avocado. Oh and butter haha. Yum! 

All sizes of milk but the little one kills me! Too cute! 

Packaged sleeves of Oreos. Takes me back to Argentina. They also taste like Argentine Oreos, not quite the same as home. We had to try them all though :)

Let me break this pic down for you: I love a good pint of Ben & Jerry's as much as the next girl BUT I refuse to pay this much for it. 
When the exchange rate is normal, this pint cost $4 on sale. Fine. But regular price is over $8!!! Not ok. Thus begins the boycott of this ice cream. 

In case you didn't know, Taylor has quite a sweet tooth (as do I) but his weaknesses are ice cream and milkshakes. We tried a place called Garfunkel's. The food was pretty blah but the milkshakes were disgraceful! Literally a swirl of syrup and almost cold milk.  Terrible. 

Taylor wanted to try the 'thick shake' advertised by Wafflemeister. Also a disappointment but tastier than Garfunkel's. 

We had a celebratory milkshake at the great Westfield Mall (absolutely massive and incredible). Not great either. But it was made from gelato so still ok. 

This guy takes the cake for best milkshake so far! We went to Ed's 50's Diner. Mine was Oreo and Taylor got peanut butter. Winners!

Ed's Diner is very 'American'. We liked this place and will go again to try out the food. 

I had to laugh at the huge sign. I don't think I've ever seen such a large reminder/plea for people to 'PLEASE CHEW WITH YOUR MOUTH CLOSED!'

Ok ok. There's this place we love for a quick lunch called Gregg's. I spotted this faux Cronut and had to try. Not bad! Now I really do have to try the real thing in New York someday. For comparison's sake. 

We went to subway after a long visit to IKEA. The sandwich artist on duty didn't take his job as seriously as one looking for a good sandwich would hope. Lame but I felt kinda bad for the guy. 
 
Shake shack London!!! We were so excited to try this, we made it our goal to eat here after we got into our flat. I was really looking forward to it. I wished I could have eaten a Shack burger for every meal in New York because I love it. Thankfully, the difference in taste here was enough to keep me from journeying across town to get some of this stuff. 
The burger is cooked to well instead of medium like in NYC, the meat is a slightly different flavour and the cheese is not the same. And not enough of the shack's special sauce. 
Haha harsh review but I hold NYC Shake Shack on a pedestal of the perfect burger. 

Best chocolate but guess what? Available in the states :) thanks IKEA!

We had the meatballs and chips at IKEA on one of our trips. It's alright but I suggest you get the smaller plate. It was way too much. 

We went to dinner with the Pace's. They are from Taylor's home ward back in Connecticut and they are London experts having spent quite a long time living in Europe. They took us to a delightful French restaurant and to, in their opinion, the best gelato place in London. 
Had to get the stracciatella. Nom nom. 

Some legit Japanese food in South Kensington.  

We love eel. Delightful. 

I have NEVER heard of Banana Nesquick and I'm not tempted to try. However, we determined the Nesquick here is better than the altered form that they peddle in the states. 

I read a book recently, can't remember which exactly, that talked about the characters drinking Horlicks and now I can't wait to try! A hot malted drink. 

There is a lot that is different but enough is familiar that we are doing just fine. Mostly things are just a little more bland than we're used to so there's always some onion salt on hand. We'll get used to it soon enough. 

Here's to more food adventure!


You Might Also Like

2 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images