Our view from: Newport Beach

4:26 AM

Crazy week and then a phenomenal weekend!!!


My in-laws went out of town and Taylor and I substituted at their house so they could have a few days to themselves before we shipped my brothers-in-law off to Arizona to join them.
It was all great. Learned that I cannot ever hope to go to school AND have kids. There is not enough time in the world for that. So I'm grateful that Taylor has encouraged me to push myself and finish this semester. 

Funniest story from our time 'babysitting' actually came as I was seeing the boys off at the airport. I had to go in and check in with Peter because he was flying as an unaccompanied minor. When we were filling out the paperwork, the ladies behind the desk were super struggling to figure out how to get us taken care of. They knew a 16-year-old and a 13-year-old were flying and that was it. They got around to having us sign something and fill out some information. They handed the paper to Jake, my 16-year-old brother-in-law, honestly thinking he was dropping ME and Peter off. What?? I mean, I know I'm short but still look 16? Don't think so. 
I need to take it as a compliment, I guess. 

I had a massively difficult midterm and many other school and work things to deal with before we could take off to a lovely adventure to help our best friend Jon propose to the best girl. :) 
I believe it had been planned to be a little more of a surprise than it ended up being but it was so much fun all the same! 

We took the shuttle bus at SL international early in the morning. Anyone who was part of Juneau division summer of 2013 can appreciate how disturbing it was to see that our shuttle driver's name was Larry. *shudder*

Look at this little ball of precious! He is perfection. This is EXACTLY the bulldog I want. A gray old English bulldog. How cute is he??? I played with him while I asked about the breeder and got the contact info. Maybe his cousin or brother will come live with us in London!

A baby airplane. Thanks to this small plane, I was literally bawling as we landed in Long Beach because of the pressure in my poor little head. The descent was excruciating. I haven't had that experience since I was 3 (according to my dad because I definitely don't remember that). Taylor kept me calm and kept assuring me that my head would NOT explode and no, my eardrums would NOT pop. 
cried anyway. 

Nick picked us up and took us to the beautiful Marriott that is just minutes from Crystal Cove. It was a hoppin'! So many activities! Pool, hot tub, game room, mini life-size chess/checkers, ping pong, fooseball...the works.

Once everyone woke up (the rest of the gang drove from Utah through the night) we headed to the beach! It was gorgeous weather. The boys played football in the sand and attempted a sand castle while the ladies enjoyed the sun's rays (with plenty of sunscreen, don't worry)

Of course it isn't fun unless someone gets hurt. Jon jammed his finger and Taylor got a fat lip. He has some nice lips but that bottom lip is definitely double its usual size in this picture. It swelled a little more after this pic but it has gotten back to normal :)

Lunch at a small version of Ruby's overlooking Crystal Cove. Beauty. 
Lunch was delicious actually. I love me a good Oreo shake!

We had to get sneaky. Jon arranged for Susanna to meet his aunt who lives in Newport Beach, 10 minutes from his favorite spot at Crystal Cove. We dropped them off then ran around looking for a lighter and roses to use to set the mood for Jon to pop the question!! It was a crazy race against the sun. We had to run to set everything up before sunset!

You can barely see the candles set in the sand and there are deep red rose petals scattered around a meticulously crafted
S + J

We 'hid' above this mostly secluded spot to document a magical moment! 

Couldn't have been a more perfect sunset. 

SHE SAID YES!!! 

They were beaming. When everything started to calm down, Susanna realized this was real and very happy tears came. 

They make my heart happy. 

Bling bling! Way to go Jonny!

These hooligans. I took this picture before Nick turned into the amazing Spider-Man.

After many suggestions to go to the Crab Cooker, we made it happen. Sooo good. Jon's soft shell was awesome, cooked oyster nice and smoky, and Taylor's salmon was high quality. Almost as good as Tracy's crab cakes in Juneau, AK...almost. 

I married a roller coaster junkie. So of course we had to visit a theme park while in sunny California.

The CREW! Sunscreen applied and ready to party.

This is the only ride I refuse to go on. And Taylor gets bored. Boo.

We had an amazing weekend. 

We headed over to Balboa Island because we NEEDED to try the frozen bananas.

Just the chocolate dipped kind and Oreos for me! Delicious!

A walk along the pier at night. Both lovely and creepy. The house with teddy bears lining all the windows probably wouldn't have been as disturbing in the daylight. MAYBE.

Found our future home! Taylor tells me these windows are old lady windows but I have to remind him that someday I WILL be an old lady, so it's ok.

A REAL Ruby's. Not the street cart-style. Cute retro place. 

The late night Ruby's run for a milkshake handed us the laugh of our lives. 

All in all, a successful weekend. We had an amazing time and we bonded circles of friends. I am so excited for a lifetime of adventures with these people!


You Might Also Like

1 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images