Amsterdam, Netherlands Day 2

8:30 PM

I have been dreaming of going to Amsterdam since forever. Spring brought us the perfect opportunity to go and see the tulips!


The Keukenhof Gardens. 7 million bulbs in bloom and 800 varieties of tulips! Sooooo I ended up editing a bunch of flower pictures out. I hope that makes this post better and not grossly boring with all the gorgeous flowers. It was too easy to take way too many pictures! Scroll fast if you hate pretty things....

Fountain at the entrance. The shuttle (very easy to find) at the airport runs every 15 minutes and it took about 25 minutes to get to the gardens.

Let the flower shots begin....

Lovely blossoms!



We had some chuckles watching people crouch down pretending to pick the flowers for a photo. They were really animated about it.

Fields of tulips! Solid red and dozens of colours




WINDMILLS! :)












A variety from the UNITED STATES!






Now THESE are the variety of tulips that I used doodle as a kid... Pointed petals!





We found a giant chessboard and the Swenson's set up the board. They wanted to play so Taylor and I split up to assist.

Checkmate! We win :)





I LOVED all the different colour calla lilies. One thing that always makes me think of my sweet maternal grandma are calla lilies. Her favourite flower.

I have never seen mentos the size of my palm! I haven't actually eaten mentos in years but have you ever thrown a sleeve of them into a 2 litre bottle of soda? Try it or youtube it! It's so cool. I really need to try it with this size mentos and see what happens!

Snuck a stealth shot (Shh don't tell) of the original bookcase that hid the Frank family for two years before they were betrayed, captured and sent to concentration camps. It breaks my heart to think of the sacrifices they made to stay alive only to be separated without the hope of seeing each other again. My eyes do not stay dry when I think of Anne's father, Otto, searching desperately for information about his family. It was an incredible experience to be in that house.






First time ever to eat schnitzel!

Ok, my friend Rachael gave us some AMAZING tips of places to visit in Amsterdam. The cookies from Van Stapele did not disappoint! (we went twice...in one day) At 2euro each, they are COMPLETELY worth it! This place only makes one thing. I love places like this because if they do one thing well, they usually excel at it to the point that there is no need to expand the menu. Chocolate cookie with a gooey white chocolate centre. Done and done. And I don't even like white chocolate!


I had to take pictures of every beautiful bite....


I love me some canals. And bikes. Even with all the rain that down poured after our gardens visit, Amsterdam was quite lovely. Actually, nearly torrential rain probably helped clear the dirt and garbage making it a nicer place. Even if it was temporary.

Then the sun came out!



At the Amsterdam Centraal Station headed back home to London. So long Amsterdam!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images